Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Show Your Plastic Challenge: Week 5

WEEK 5 SHOW YOUR PLASTIC CHALLENGE

 TOTAL – 37 PIECES, 12 OZ
Finally…a reduction in volume of our plastic waste, small but good.

Show Your Plastic - Week 5
Since we didn’t ‘clean house’ at the beginning of July of our accumulated plastic but continue to use what was on hand, plastic is going to continue to filter in as the year progresses. With my pregnancy and the birth of our third child in May I allowed myself to cling to gluten free, allergy friendly convenience foods for a while. My husband was carrying the cooking load for a while and for that I'm so grateful.

Entering the second month, I’ve now discovered the ugly truth that trying to change too many things too quickly can lead to burnout. I want to make sustainable changes in our family that we can make part of our lifestyle rather than create fads that will quickly fade. One example of a failed plastic free attempt was making homemade dog food. After making all of our own gluten/soy/egg/dairy free foods from scratch, making dog food at 9:00 pm is not exactly an enjoyable task. After looking at my plastic free priorities I’ve decided to investigate other alternatives for pet food.


"Sometimes we have to take a step back, take deep breath, and decide what should come first."
We try when possible to attend the local farmers markets. The Locally Grown market that we are members of is 60 miles away. They have a wide variety of produce available but we only get to the market about once a month. On one market visit I had an interesting experience. I had notified the growers & market managers that I would be bringing my own containers. While I kindly requested that some of my items not be packaged in plastic, my plans were thwarted. I sent my husband to pickup the order (it’s an online farmers market) with reusable bags and containers in tow, he was made to feel very uncomfortable.

“Are you going to cut those sausages out of the plastic package and put them in your pockets?”

he was asked by the market manager. The majority of the items were prepackaged in plastic bags (bell peppers, tomatoes, jalapeños). After being taunted he didn’t want to make a scene and quietly departed.
The next visit to the market, I was prepared to do just what the manager suggested, with container in hand. “What a great idea,” I’d say. “Thanks for thinking of it.” He will be holding the plastic bag. (Smile.) This from a group that encourages reusable bags for order pickups and encourages you to reuse your containers. Going against the grain becomes a norm when trying to go plastic free.

PLASTIC FREE PROGRESS:

  • Discovered a way to keep produce stickers out of landfill, and my compost. Post to come soon.
  • Homemade Gluten Free Rustic Morroccan Loaves have become a highly requested staple in our home. I found a allergen free baking cookbook that I love and have tried several of Cybele Pascal's recipes.

SUMMARY:

Week 1 Total - 52 items, 13 oz

Week 2 Total - 59 items, 18 oz

Week 3 Total - 44 items, 14.1 oz

Week 4 Total - 50 items, 17.9 oz

Week 5 Total - 37 items, 12 oz

GOALS:
  • Continue to implement one plastic free change from the Grocery Substitution worksheet: homemade cookies. Can I convince my family to go without sweets/cookies when I haven't had an opportunity to bake for the next week? 
  • Research any alternatives for pet food in recyclable packaging or find a way to reuse our pet food bags.
  • Make batch of homemade laundry soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment